All warehouse managers know the importance of keeping their warehouse organized. It cuts down on labor costs, gets your products out faster, and keeps your customers (and your shareholders) happy. But the battle to keep the warehouse organized is never-ending. When products are coming in and out all day long, it can lead to a lot of confusion. But there is one very simple thing that your warehouse can be doing to help everyone working there stay more organized: label your shelving. DAK Equipment recommends SUPERSCAN® Insertable Label Holders for the job; they are available right now in our online catalog. Here is why we love them:
- They are made to fit a variety of pallet shelves. It doesn’t matter what pallet racking system you are using or how many industrial shelving units you have, these labels will work with them.
- These labels are side loading and can be quickly relabeled and moved for your ever-changing inventory needs. The shelves in your warehouse probably change and rotate inventory regularly, and now your labels can keep up with every change that happens.
- The package includes white inserts that you can easily run through your inkjet office printer to create clear, crisp, professional looking labels. No more scribbled labels that are hard to read at a distance!
But is labeling really the secret to a warehouse that gets and stays organized? Yes, and here is why.
The Benefits of Labeling Your Shelves
- A cleaner looking warehouse. While this isn’t the most important benefit, it’s a nice one. A clean, organized warehouse is more pleasant to work in, boosting employee morale and helping with the efficiency of your warehouse.
- Faster pick and pack times. When items are clearly labeled and stocked, workers won’t have to go hunting for the products they need to fulfill an order or build a product. This speed up production and shipping times.
- Faster ordering. Proper labels help you see, at a glance, what items are low and need to be restocked. You’ll never be caught off guard by low inventory levels.
- Less theft. When something is sitting on a shelf by itself, it can be a temptation for theft. Afterall, how long will it take you to notice one missing item from the shelf? But when everything is labeled, it’s a lot easier to notice when something is missing and would-be thieves will know that and leave items in their proper place.
- Less location confusion. It can be tough to find your way through the maze of inventory in a warehouse, but time matters, especially when it comes to picking an order. Racking labels can help eliminate the confusion of locations within the warehouse and get the picker to the next item faster.
- It can lower your error rate. When shelves aren’t labeled, pickers may assume they have the right item when they actually don’t. That leads to more returns and more frustrated customers. Labeling reduces confusion and errors.
- It can increase your storage capacity. When areas are well labeled, there is a place for everything. When everything is in its place, it’s a lot easier to see where the empty spaces are within the warehouse and maximize on available shelving.
Tips on How to Label Your Warehouse
- Make sure the labels are secure. Great labels are no good if they are constantly falling off of the shelves and needing to be replaced. The labels that we recommend are available in both adhesive and magnetic options, both of which are great for sticking and staying in place until you need to move them.
- Use color coding if it makes sense. Too much color can be confusing, but a simple color coding system can help workers identify products from a distance a lot faster.
- Make sure the labels can be read at a distance. The further away they can be read, the easier and faster it’s going to be to identify the right locations within your warehouse.
- Purchase labels that can be changed easily. Within the ever-changing environment of the warehouse, you’ll want to make sure your labels can keep up with everything that’s happening around them.
Labels Aren’t Just for Shelves
Labeling your shelves is a great step to take towards the total organization of your warehouse, but it’s not the only thing you can label. Consider getting additional labels for the floor, racks, aisles, and other areas as well. This will help direct pickers to the right locations a lot faster, meaning they can get the order picked and off to packing in less time. Look around your warehouse like it’s the first time you’ve ever been there and think about what information you’d need to successfully find an item on an order. Talking to a warehouse consultant can help you see your warehouse with fresh eyes and identify where labeling is lacking in your space.
Order Your Warehouse Labels From DAK Today
It’s time to discover all of the benefits of labeling warehouse shelves for yourself. Even if these labels aren’t quite right, there are so many other options available from DAK Equipment and Engineering. We’ll help you find the labels that are right for your space. There are tons of benefits to using insertable label holders, so place an order and start discovering them for yourself! Our Chicago-area business can ship these label holders nationwide, so no matter where you are you can get the benefits of great DAK Equipment products. Give us a call or order online today.
Facing an issue in your warehouse? Our warehouse consultants are here to help! Give us a call or contact us through our website and talk to one of our experienced consultants today. We have decades of experience in the materials handling and storage industry and have helped hundreds of companies like yours overcome the challenges they are facing. We can provide you with cost-effective solutions to problems such as warehouse optimization, planning and layout, automation, and keeping your warehouse organized. Get in touch with our team and let us help you overcome the challenges you are facing today!