How often do you sit down at a desktop computer at home? For most people, it’s less and less often. We’re turning to our mobile devices to connect us to the internet on a daily basis while our desktop systems gather dust. Why the change from desktops to mobile computing?
- They are more convenient. Instead of requiring a desk and potentially their own room, we can use mobile devices like our cell phone and tablets wherever we happen to be at the time. That could be sitting on the couch or out at a coffee shop. Desktops don’t offer that when it comes to computing.
- They are cost effective. Instead of shelling out close to $1,000 (or more!) for a desktop, you can pick up a tablet or smartphone for a fraction of that price. This makes it a much more affordable option when it comes to connecting to the internet.
- They are with us all the time. It’s tough to take your desktop with you wherever you go, but we’re willing to bet that you have a smartphone or tablet within your reach right now. We take them with us everywhere, which means we always have the power of the internet in our pockets.
If we’re depending on our smartphones and tablets this much in our daily lives, why are we still using desktops for warehouse management? Turns out, that’s something that is quickly changing within the warehouse environment and something our warehouse consultants are seeing move up the list of priorities for warehouse managers.
Mobile is the Future of Your Warehouse
More and more warehouse management is going to be done on mobile devices in the next 10 years. Everything from forecasting to scheduling to inventory control will be done on smartphones. The reasons for these changes are largely the same reasons why we’re using mobile devices at home more often, too!
- Convenience. As a warehouse manager, you probably have your phone on you at all times. That makes being able to control your warehouse from your phone super convenient. You don’t have to be at your desk to make the changes needed to make your warehouse run more efficiently.
- Cost. Supplying a warehouse manager with a smartphone is cheaper than buying him a desktop. And while you may still need a desktop for some things, the maintenance and IT costs can go down when you are relying more on mobile devices.
- Time. If you can manage your warehouse on your phone, you can address issues 24 hours a day. That keeps your warehouse running smoothly even outside of normal business hours when you aren’t at your desk.
Is your warehouse ready for the mobile revolution? Our warehouse consultants can help you make sure. Optimizing and automating your warehouse can help make mobile integration easier. Let us help. Contact our team of warehouse consultants at DAK Equipment & Engineering and let us help you prepare your warehouse for mobile optimization. We can get to work right away. Give us a call or contact us through our website today.