A lot of warehouses in Illinois and across the Midwest are looking for ways to become more eco-friendly. Why make the effort? It could actually result in a boost in your profits. Eco-friendliness in the warehouse environment could help you reduce waste, which could help cost down on packaging and shipping expenses. It can also help boost your reputation, and people like to work with and for companies who care about the environment. In the end, going green could help lower your expenses while increasing your profits, and that’s something that any business can embrace.
How is your business going to work on reducing its environmental impact in 2018? You’ll have a lot of options, from changing your light bulbs to LEDs to switching to renewable energy sources to power your space. But one of the easiest things you can do is make the change to recycled pallets. It’s important to weigh the pros and cons of making this move and determining whether it’s the right route to eco-friendliness for your warehouse operations.
Why Your Warehouse Should Consider Recycled Plastic Pallets
The vast majority of warehouses in the Midwest use wooden pallets. For the most part, wooden pallets are a decent enough method for storing and moving merchandise within a warehouse environment. They aren’t without their drawbacks, though.
The Disadvantages of Wooden Pallets
- They might not be right for your products. Some products just aren’t going to work well with wooden pallets. The product might not react well with the wood, there could be contamination issues, or the product might be in danger of being harmed by the rough surface of the pallet wood (pallets aren’t known for their smoothness, after all).
- They can be fragile. Pallets aren’t made for durability. They are made from cheap, untreated wooden that’s going to be prone to breakage especially as it ages. Splintered pallets can damage your product and may even injure your workers.
- Replacement costs can add up quickly. While wooden pallets are cheap, those replacement costs can add up quickly. Replacing one or two might be cost efficient enough, but when you start to replace dozens every month it can end up being a big drain on your budget.
- They are tough to sanitize. Wooden pallets are incredibly porous, meaning there are plenty of nooks and crannies for germs and bacteria to hide in. If you are shipping something that needs to be kept under sanitized conditions, then wooden pallets aren’t going to be the equipment you need.
If you are running into problems like the ones listed above with your wooden pallets, you should know that there are affordable alternatives on the market. Many of them have the added bonus of being more eco-friendly than the wooden version as well as being much more durable than the wooden kind.
Could Recycled Plastic Pallets Be Better for Your Warehouse?
DAK Equipment sells RACX® Rackable Pallets, made from recycled plastics. These pallets could offer enormous advantages to your warehouse environment.
- Eco-friendly. Because they are made from recycled materials, you can feel good about using them in your warehouse.
- Hold up to 2,200 lbs. Plenty of capacity for even your heaviest loads.
- Work with your current racking system. No need to alter your current racking system, as the size and structure of these plastic pallets are made to work with traditional wooden pallet storage. This makes the transition from wooden to plastic pallets very easy.
- More storage options. The structure of the pallet is made so the bottom pallet can hold the static load of two or more pallets. That means you could actually have more storage options within your warehouse.
- Incredibly durable. Investing in plastic pallets is a long-term investment that can pay off. Unlike wooden pallets, damage to these plastic versions is rare. You’ll be able to use them for years without worrying about replacement costs.
Keep in mind that plastic pallets are best used in certain circumstances. If you are shipping to another facility, you don’t want to send your plastic pallets as you won’t be getting them back; it’s sending money straight out the door. However, if you are shipping within your own facilities or using them strictly for storage within your own space, then they can be an ideal investment for your warehouse.
These are available today!
These pallets are available on the DAK Equipment website today starting at affordable prices. While you are on our website, be sure to check out the other warehouse pallet rack options we carry. You can transform your warehouse into a better, more efficient, and more eco-friendly space with our help. Place an order through our secure website, and be sure to give us a call if you need help, advice, or answers to questions about pallet rack supplies and wooden pallet alternatives.
Need to Stick with Wooden Pallets?
It’s possible to increase your eco-friendliness while still using wooden pallets. When your pallets break and need to replaced, make sure that you recycle the wood. Take it to a recycling center who can appropriately dispose of it for you, or advertise that you have old pallets available for craft and woodworking projects. A lot of people are using old pallets to build furniture and finish their walls, so you are sure to find takers.
Need More Eco-Friendly Warehouse Ideas?
There are so many ways that your warehouse can help lessen its impact on the environment. If going green is an important initiative in your warehouse in 2018, our warehouse consultants can help you find easy and affordable eco-friendly methods, equipment, and products that can be incorporated into your current warehouse setup. You don’t have to take on massive, sweeping changes to your warehouse in order to make a difference. Small changes in the way that you operate can have huge effects on the environment in your local area as well as the world at large. Contact our team to learn more about eco-friendly warehouse solutions and let us help you meet the goal of going green in 2018. Call us or contact us through our website to get in touch with a project manager in your area.